A SPEECH DELIVERED BY HON. (CHIEF) AMOBI YINUSA AKINTOLA AT THE 29TH ANNUAL CELEBRATION OF KUTA DAY, 2019.
Dear Families and Friends,
1. I am grateful to God Almighty Allah for His infinite mercy upon each and every sons and daughters, friends and families of Kuta Kingdom and his grace upon our land to witness another communal celebration, the 29th edition of annual Kuta Day, championed by Kuta United Front (KUF) with the fatherly guidance of our royal father, HRM Oba Hammed Adekunle Oyelude Tegboso II, The Olowu of Owu Kuta and the needful directives of the communal elders & leaders.
2. 365 days ago, on this day, about this hour and on this very place, I stand in front of the good people of Kuta Kingdom, friends & families from far & near with the pregnancy of positive aspiration and to God be the glory, I am joyous to stand again today in the posture of victory with successes.
3. I am humbled by the opportunity, the trust and the overwhelming support you gave to me during the last general election to represent you at the Lower Chamber of the National Assembly. In spite of the challenges, it has been truly fulfilling experience and I remain highly grateful for every single day of the last few months I have served.
4. In my manifesto before the election, I share my mission and vision, I promise to lead without discrimination and segregation, I promise not to take your trust for granted but work daily to achieve my vision and mission and that has been my watchword and today, I am proud to say that I have acted within my capacity as a parliamentarian to fight, defend & protect the interest of my constituents & my constituency in diverse ways.
5. Despite the plans of President Muhammadu Buhari to return the country Budget to January–December Cycle for proper implementation which has consume the time of the Parliamentarians, I still struggle to put things in order, mainly in favor of my constituency.
6. On the 23RD OF May 2019, our community witness a natural disaster as rainstorm destroy the Palace, many houses in our communities and major electrical poles in the town, few weeks after the incident, precisely after Eid-el-Fitr worship at Kuta Prayer Ground, I visited the Palace of the Olowu of Owu Kuta and I donated the sum of Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira (N250,000.00) to Kuta Kingdom for proper electrification and later added some amount to ensure that the work is done properly and timely.
7. On same challenges, I stand on the floor of the Green Chamber in the National Assembly on the 13th of June which happen to be the second Plenary of the House of Representatives after our inauguration on the 11th of June, 2019. I move a Motion On The Need To Combat Threatening Environmental Degradation In Kuta, Ikoyi & Iwo in Ayedire/Iwo/Ola-Oluwa Federal Constituency and I resolved and urge the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to supply relief materials to the victims of the affected areas. The step taken, join with the proactive steps of The Olowu of Owu Kuta, HRM Oba Hammed Adekunle Oyelude Makama, Tegboso II, result to the relief materials provided by NEMA in the month of September, 2019.
8. In addition, the Motion On The Need To Complete The Rehabilitation And Reconstruction Of Gbongan–Iwo–Oyo Road has been moved on the floor of the House and I resolve and urge the Federal Government to complete the road without further delay and mandate the House Committee on works to invite the Federal Ministry of Power, Works & Housing and Kopek Nigeria Limited to make clarification on the project and report back to the House in four(4) weeks. Favourably, the speaker instruct the Clerk of the House of Representatives to communicate the resolution of the House to the relevant agencies.
9. As a concerned representative, I consider the agony of some erosion disaster victims in my constituency and I decided to bring in officials from the Presidency, Office Of The Secretary To The Government Of The Federation (SGF), Ecological Department to some affected places like Odo-Ogun in Kuta, Gbandu river road in Oluponna and Odo Eran, Odoori, Yidi-Oba in Iwo. The officials took pictures of the affected places for evaluation and the engineering design for Erosion Control and Road Improvement Works has been done & submitted with a backup letters from the Palace of Olowu of Owu Kuta, Oluwo of Iwo and Olupo of Oluponna.
10. Cognisance of the agitation for federal presence in Ayedire/Iwo/Ola-Oluwa Federal Constituency by every sons & daughters of the constituency, I am privileged to sponsor The Bill For The Establishment Of Federal College Of Education Iwo which has already scaled through First Reading on the floor of the House on the 29th October, 2019. This is mainly for the development and progress of our Federal Constituency.
11. Also, due to the present activities of the National Assembly on the timely perfection of 2020 Budget, two (2) important motion are pending till the House resume plenary.
12. ”The Motion On The Need For The Construction Of Kuta-Ede Road & A Bridge Over Osun River Along The Road” and ”The Motion On The Need To Revitalize And Upgrade The Aquaculture Technology Transfer Centre, Oluponna.
13. Finally, we must all be aware that our country through the National Executive Council and the National Assembly is still running on the 2019 Budget that was prepared by the 8th Assembly and passed in the month of June 2018 in which all the arrangement in the Budget is purely in their favour. The 9th Assembly will begin to unveil needful dividend to our various constituencies after the passage of the 2020 Budget.
14. Without discrimination or favouritism, I am putting committed effort to offer targeted personalized help to people seeking employment and create various training programmes for unemployed youths, men and women of Ayedire/Iwo/Ola-Oluwa Federal Constituency, to further their skills and let them create their own wealth as I promised in my manifesto before the election.
15. I appreciate your prayers and patience.
May God bless our Land.
Hon. Amobi Yinusa Akintola (MHR)