Senator Oriolowo was the Candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the Osun West Senatorial District for a seat at the National Assembly of the 23rd of February, 2019. Adelere Oriolowo polled 102,147 votes while his closest rival, Lere Oyewumi of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) got 97,294 votes. While Dotun Babayemi of the African Democratic Party (ADP), came third with 42,915 votes in the election.
Prior to his election, he was the General Manager of the Osun State Agricultural Development Corporation from 2007 to 2013 and Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Water Resources, Rural Development and Community Affairs of Osun from 2013 to 2016.
Let’s go briefly into the biography of Senator Adelere Oriolowo
Oriolowo hails from Oriolowo`s compound, Molete in Iwo Local Government, Osun State. He was a Mechanical Engineering student at The Polytechnic, Ibadan for his National Diploma between 1976 and 1978. He bagged his B.Sc in Agricultural Engineering from the prestigious Obafemi Awolowo University in 1984.
READ FULL PROFILE HERE: Epitomized Profile of Engineer Oriolowo Adelere Adeyemi
As we all know campaign promises are like are traps set by a farmer to attract rodents in the bush. Therefore, it is a tradition by any politician to seek votes of the masses to attain a position.
Before being elected, Engineer Adelere Oriolowo made some promises if elected; let’s go down the history lane to read what Adelere Oriolowo promised before being elected as the Senator representing the Osun West people.
In a debate organised all Senatorial aspirants, Engineer Adelere Oriolowo said uttered the following statements;
Engr Adelere Adeyemi Oriolowo: “To do things differently, I will approach the development from the sustainability angle because there are things one can do that can bring lasting development to the people instead of distributing pepper grinders. We will give our people fish and train them on how to fish not giving them fish to eat alone. We will bring about institutions that will last long from the employment for the teeming youths.”
“If elected, I will pursue my primary functions of lawmaking with vigour and sponsor bills and motions that will have a positive impact on my people and the country in general”
“I have one of the largest Farms in the state and one of my aims is not to only facilitate empowerment and employment opportunities through Agricultural sectors for the youth of my district but to also enact a law that will assist our Farmers”
READ ALSO: Hon Amobi Yinusa: What He Promised, What Has He Delivered To Iwo Federal Constituency In 2019?
From the words of our dear Senator, we can highlight the following;
- Bringing lasting development to the people instead of distributing pepper grinders.
- We will give our people fish and train them on how to fish not giving them fish to eat alone.
- We will bring about institutions that will last long from the employment for the teeming youths.
- Will pursue my primary functions of lawmaking with vigour and sponsor bills and motions that will have a positive impact on my people and the country.
- Facilitate empowerment and employment opportunities through Agricultural sectors for the youth of my district but to also enact a law that will assist our Farmers.
What Has Senator Oriolowo Delivered So far in the year 2019?
Activities at the Senate
- Chairman Senate Committee on Legislative Compliance
- Vice-Chairman, Senate Committee on Solid Minerals, Mine, Steel Development and Metallurgy.
- Vice-Chairman, Senate Committee on Privatization
- Sponsored bill on establishment Federal College of Education (Technical) Iwo, Osun State (Est, etc) Bill, 2019 (SB. 164)
Status of the Bill
First Reading: 14/11/2019
- Donated a 30KVA generator to the palace of Oluwo of Iwoland.
- Held an interactive session with constituents on August 13th, 2019 at Kings Riverside, Iwo, Osun State.
- Empowered market women in Osun West Senatorial District with the sum of Two Million Naira (N2,000,000).
- Made Full Payment for treatment of a Blind Student, Diagnosis and Treatment with the sum of N600,000.
So far, a bill has been sponsored by Senator Oriolowo, a bill that Iwo people have been yearning for. In addition, Senator Oriolowo is the Chairman Senate Committee on Legislative and Vice-Chairmen of other committees shows the lawmaker has been active at the Red Chamber.
Reviewing the activities of Senator Oriolowo, we could see that he has been taking steps to fulfil his promises. It is understood that the constituency project that was last raised by Senator Ademola Adeleke of Ede before the emergence of Senator Oriolowo.
We hope our dear next constituency projects will cut across empowerment for youths and development of the land.